Monday, September 13, 2004

Ah weekends...



Well, that was that...I'm gonna stop planning my weekends out before they happen...it never worked for me in the past, so I dunno why I started thinking it would now. So forget that.

Friday I did not go to see Rainer Maria...I had two pretty rough nights on Wednesday and Thursday, and I came home from work feeling like a wreck...My kicking back and chilling out for a few hours turned into a whole night of laziness and unmotavatedness...and alas I stayed in...And basically that was OK, cause I had to get up Saturday to...

Go to work! Which, as I said before, isn't all that bad really...but I mean...there are places I'd rather be. So I'm there for almost an entire workday...and still end up not getting close to enough done as I wanted to do, but all of a sudden it was already getting dark, and I was just burning myself out, so I bounced and didn't look back. I got home after 8, and I regrettably realized I had no hope of making it down to Don Hills to catch the always fantastic Morning Theft play an early set.

I got myself cleaned up and dressed after a while and, feeling kinda worn out, went downstairs and picked up a $3.00 bottle of Vodka, a can of Red Bull, a can of Sunkist, and a Sparks and headed out to a friend's place...

From there we headed down to The Dark Room to meet up with some heads for a minute, then I skipped over to see the uberhyped Secret Machines play an underhyped set at Rothko. Let me just say this...Thursday night at the Futureheads set felt like a brisk autumn night compared to this show. My god. I was drenched in sweat...like Franz Ferdinand at Volume sweaty...I even had to leave to go outside in the middle...something I NEVER do, to get a breath of fresh air and cool off. It was brutal like nothing I've ever felt.

Let me say this as well...these guys are good...really good. They put on a very solid show, the crowd seemed real into it...despite the heat, it was great to see a fairly established band play a little club like Rothko. I know they've received their share of hype (some of it artificial) but let me just say that it is all well deserved. They have a professional and unique sound that I can really dig. Be sure to get there early enough to catch them open for Interpol this fall. They're worth it.

Anyway, after that jawn I met back up with some friends, and we wandered home, but not before having a curious encounter with a deli owner and three cans of Sparks...something involving the nonsensical 3:00AM blue law...I don't know...

After a lil College Basketball on Xbox and Grateful Dead at Winterland, we finally called it a night. Woo hoo.

Sunday was a lot of tennis and football mixed with Excedrin and tall glasses of water. It all culminated into a pizza and dumpling delivery feast and some HBO finality. Bobby McFerrin once said "Simple pleasures are the best..." Trust me on that one.

Next week's notables are some rad techno beats with M83 and Ulrich Schnauss at Bowery on Tuesday, and Elkland at Pianos to bring in the old school new year Wednesday night.

And by the way, I'm not going to San Diego anymore...but I'm gonna go to either Philly or Boston to see Muse when they come down. Lets face it...the rest of the bands were just gravy anyway...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home