Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Samples in a Jar

Last night I was less than impressed by The Go! Team live. Their CD is just about the most favorite thing I own, but this show didn't do it for me. I just felt the songs all fell a bit flat when being played by live instruments. And Ninja, the frontwoman, was a little too involved for my tastes, mumbling echoed rhymes over songs that were previously, to my knowledge, only instrumental. Maybe (most likely) my expectations were too high for a band I love this much, but I was really hoping to be completely blown away by these guys, with the horns and fanfare that the record suggests. Instead I heard a lot of prerecorded sounds underneath some rather dull drum and guitar and an overbearing vocalist. I left the Mercury Lounge just wanting to go back home and listen to their CD again.

I'm going to see them Wednesday as well, so maybe I'll leave there with a better impression. This time around, however, I was underwhelmed.

Check out a couple pictures of the show over at Brooklyn Vegan and a review that shares many of my same sentiments at Productshop.

4 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, Blogger n. said...

aw i didn't see you there last night -- but it was so damn crowded.

anyways, i felt the same way that you did, although i hadn't really listened to them at all before the show.

 
At 12:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Went to the Southpaw show. I think the live energy more than made up for the canned samples. Ninja is my new idol.

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Jeff Baum said...

Yea, the online consensus was pretty average, but everyone I was with loved them. Weird. Good to hear they were good at Southpaw.

 
At 2:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP Gang bangs pic Topamax+with+alcahol kitchen sink tap spouts big tits little asses Pga tour eyeglasses

 

Post a Comment

<< Home