Monday, March 14, 2005

Parenthesis

(Pic of UTB via Stereogum)

So it's SXSW week and I'm staying put. Tonight there are two very hot shows, but due to a busy weekend, I might have to pass on both. The GLC are playing at Mercury Lounge tonight. Also, Maximo Park is at Rothko. Both bands aren't in America much, so it's a tough choice. You might be able to make both, but it'd take some hustle and some luck, and I'm not sure if I'll be up to it.

Tomorrow I'm going to see Doves at Bowery. Been listening to them more and more of late (including the immaculate acoustic recordings that Jed's got posted). Really excited. Wednesday it looks like Brazilian Girls, who for a band that is allegedly so hyped, I don't hear much about these days. (Aside from Coolfer's extensive review of the album). Friday I may go see Xiu Xiu, tho I've heard some horror stories about his live shows, so if I'm not up for it I may pass. Then Saturday I'm gonna go see that VH1 Talking Heads play everyone's been talking about. Next week is a whole nother story.

A couple quick links...

Coolfer posted a very well written piece this weekend that started about I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness, and ended up summing up the current state of indie music, and how much longer it can hold on as it is before falling off. Worth a read. Prolly worth another read once The Bravery become huge and everyone denounces everything that sounds like them (see: Jet, Garage Rock Revival)

Brooklyn Vegan posts a shitty-ass Bright Eyes cover of Feist's "Mushaboom". This all but confirms that I really don't like Bright Eyes at all. His voice, the music...does nothing for me. On top of that, I just have a hard time taking someone that young, rich, talented and successful too seriously. Regardless of my personal opinions on the guy, this cover butchers the original.

Gawker reports that Lindsay Lohan is going to be dangerously close to the Central Village for the next few days, filming some wack new movie. I remember this week when I was Lindsay's age, I spent St. Patrick’s Day down around where she'll be at the McDougal Street Ale House, watching my school get destroyed by Temple University in the first round of the tournament.

In any event, if you're in the area, keep your eyes peeled for a nip slip.

1 Comments:

At 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to make a comment about your bizarre Bright Eyes commentary, but then I prematurely ejaculated.

Thank God for the above comment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home