Monday, March 07, 2005

Barely Legal

Fun weekend. Unexpectedly ended up seeing the Secret Machines/Moving Units/Autolux show Saturday night. I normally wouldn't go out of my way for this show, but a friend of mine came up with an extra free ticket, so I took it. SM really do give a great performance, with the lights and smoke and the whole production. They are by no means a favorite of mine, but I really do like what they do live much more than what's on the album.

Was most impressed by Autolux that night, however. One of the most devastating drummers I've ever seen in person. I couldn't take my eyes off her. Simply unreal. These guys play a very tight and together style of noise pop, with lots of guitar effects and soft vocals. I always say it takes an extra something for me to take a band from L.A. seriously, but these guys got it. I'd strongly recommend seeing them next time they are back east. I even bought their album after their set, which is great as well..

Other than that, there were a few other underage-themed happenings this weekend, including catching the tail end of a High School House Party at my buddy's parent's loft in Soho and some sort of magazine premiere in what appeared to be a Middle School roof gym on Eldridge Street.

Sunday I sat in front of the TV all day, watching back episodes of Law and Order and some college basketball. Thought the Simpsons were remarkably funny for the first time in a long time, and the Morrissey DVD premiere on HDNet was unspectacular at best. Didn’t think the setlist was all that strong.


This week I'm really looking forward to seeing Stars tomorrow night (heh...no pun intended), but then a lot of hopefullies and maybes following till the weekend. Wednesday I may go see Rainer Maria at Mercury Lounge, or if someone has an extra ticket, I might go to Hot Hot Heat at Bowery. Then Thursday I'm almost definitely going to see DFA '79 to give them another shot. The weekend is a lot more straightforward. Friday there's the thing at Crash Mansion with Morning Theft, Snowden and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. Then Saturday I’ve got The Wrens at Maxwell’s. Been waiting to see them again for what seems like forever. Sunday I'm giving live underground Hip Hop another shot with one of my favorites, Atmosphere, at Bowery. Busy busy busy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home