Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Rainy Day

What a handsome little shit!

I'm seeing Sondre play tonight, with the Golden Republic opening at Southpaw. Tickets are still available at the door. When this show was announced, I was certain it would be a sellout...but it is not...somehow. I mean, didn't he headline Irving Plaza earlier this year? and play Bowery, um last week? This is a pretty intimate venue for a pretty intimate guy. I dunno how many chances you'll have left to see him play a place like this. Southpaw is one of my favorite venues in the city, so it should be a treat.

However, if you're scared to leave the cozy confines of lower east side, the band LESS, who are the stars of Adam Rapp's new play "Finer Noble Gasses" will be playing Sin-e tonight at 8. The flier promises guaranteed nudity. Just sayin...

So, somehow, December 15th is turning into quite a mess. That's the day I have tickets to the Pixies and Le Tigre, which will be awesome. But...there's this little issue with Broken Social Scene that's got me all twisted around. Ya see, they are opening for the Pixies the night before...which obviously is sold out and nobody seems to be letting go of their tickets yet. So that's a bummer. But the big kicker is...according to some reliable blogs out there, BSS is set to play their very own show at Bowery Ballroom on...yup, Dec 15th. So I've somehow turned an amazing Pixies show into a disappointing double whammy of missing one of my favorite bands...twice. Drat. Either way, I got the office e-mail that the Christmas party will be...you guessed it...December 15th. So I'll be nice and drunk and humiliated by the time I get to whatever show I end up at that night.

My iPod, after spending a few days last week being day to day, has officially been placed on the 15 day DL...I've filed a service request with Apple, And they are sending me the materials to send it back to them. My morning commute is so...quiet.

Brooklyn Vegan gave me the heads up on a last minute Rachael Yamagata show at Bowery Ballroom next Tuesday the 26th. I don't think I'm gonna make it to this one, since I've seen her twice fairly recently...but if you haven't had a chance to see her sing, go go go and you wont regret it.

Also from BV, be sure to goto KEXP.org and check out some of the streams from their studio showcases last week. I would, except my new officemate listens to KISS FM all fucking day and I don't know him well enough to ask if I can put something else on. I'll have to sneak into the office early tomorrow and start my music up before he gets in...sneaky.

I'm really curious to go check out Lali Puna at one of their two Mercury shows with Stereogum darlings The Go Find. Actually I better plan on going the second night, cause they play the same week as...

The Daily Refill/Coolfer/Gothamist supershow, Moveable Hype @ The Knitting Factory!(get it? It's a blog pun!) Three awesome awesome bands and one I never heard of...but I trust these kids' taste in music, so I'm sure they're great. Asobi Seksu, Snowden, and The Sons of Sound are all phenomenal and not to be missed. Putting them together just makes it easier. Save the date, November 16th.

I just thought of a GREAT pun to use as a title to the inevitable post reviewing the show I'm going to tonight...Ok, It's not great, but I think it's kinda clever. I'll save it for tomorrow.

4 Comments:

At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have some good news for you. According to Broken Social Scene's website, their Bowery show is on the 13th, not the 15th.

Also something interesting to note for those going to Southpaw tonight - the Golden Republic is both opening, and playing as Sondre's band.

later
-bv

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Jeff Baum said...

Well, that's a relief...tho I have tickets that night too...I'll work something out.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger n. said...

the three movable hype bands are FANTASTIC. i can't believe you haven't seen them! if you don't have plans this friday you can check out sons of sound at Rothko (i'm djing afterwards). but morning theft is also playing at plaid... either way you can't go wrong!

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Jeff Baum said...

I've seen Asobi Seksu before, but I've never been able to make it to Snowden when they're in town, and the Sons of Sound are always playing nights I'm already committed to something else. Anyone know about that 4th band? The Fresh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home