Friday, November 19, 2004

I should have forgotten you long ago...
But you're in every song I know.



So how's this for a perfect setup to an evening filled with slow and beautiful love songs...

I have one ticket. I'm going alone. With my coat on, about to walk out the door, I get an IM from a girl I had a bit of a fling with a little while back. Literally haven't heard from her in over a year. We only chatted for a minute or so, but it was enough to bring back a whole bunch of memories and whatnot I hadn't really thought about in a while. So awesome...off to The Magnetic Fields!

Took the slow train to Carnegie Hall, checked my coat, got a glass of champagne at the bar while I read the program and waited for the doors to open. The funny thing was, once the music started, I forgot all about my post-teen angst and worry. I was completely wrapped up in these songs. Simply brilliant. Sometimes sad and lonely, but often pretty optimistic and always lighthearted. No song is taken too seriously. They did not play my favorite, 'Busby Berkeley Dreams', but I left with two new ones...'Papa was a Rodeo' and 'All the Umbrellas in London'. I came very close to dropping 30 bones on the 69 love songs box set off iTunes when I got home, but I've restrained myself...for now. Sad music has never made me so happy.

1 Comments:

At 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are the only review my roommate and i could find...
wasn't it a beautiful concert hall?
we ended up trying to get into the concert without tickets, which seemed to be a lost cause, but we were assured that SOMEBODY would leave early. i found it hard to believe. well, by 9:15 an older couple left and gave us their seats... saying it was like listening to tom waits and leonard cohen on downers. well, i thought it was witty, sarcastic, musical and deeply human.
next time i am going to take your heed and show up early for a bit of champaigne.
-sarah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home