Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Accumulated notes...

Productshop claims knowledge of a major secret show this Sunday, tho will not yet reveal the band or place till it is 100% confirmed. A commenter has speculated he was referring to the KRock listening party WITH U2 in attendance, which was just announced this morning on the radio. A quick scan of the venues in NY showed nothing suspicious, tho Southpaw has a couple bands Sunday with a "with special guests" tag. I have a feeling U2 will be playing a club show at or after the listening party, since I can't really think of anyone major who's around...

Actually...what are The Strokes up to these days? I think they're due for a little impromptu shindig sooner or later...but my money's still on U2.

Movable Hype was a ton of fun. I caught the last 3 bands, all of which I'd go out of my way to see again. Sons of Sound were so unbelievably good. They sound radio-ready...or at least OC-ready. Asobi Seksu and Snowden were both great as well, but I made a point to see SoS and they were as wonderful as can be. I just kept thinking how much his voice sounds like Bono, and how tight and together they were. Fun night overall...and yes...there were a lot of bloggers there...

I've been listening to The Go! Team's debut album pretty much on repeat non-stop since I got it. I'm doing my best to cut back on calling everything I like 'the best ever', but this is my favorite album right now. By far. It's available on iTunes in America, and you can listen to some of the songs off their website. Enjoy! I promise everyone will love these guys!

Keane is playing Hammerstein Ballroom on Feb. 2nd. According to BrooklynVegan, Presale goes on at 5 this afternoon, and the password is 'somewhere'. Man, did these guys blow up quick or what?? How long ago was it that they were playing the main room at The Knitting Factory? Three months? I'll let you in on a little secret...they're a pretty average band to see live. I'm saving my money.

Finally, I got an e-mail saying that Stephin Merritt...the genius lyricist and vocalist for The Magnetic Fields...Will be throwing a regular Monday night party this winter at The Clubhouse on 9th and C. As far as I can tell, this is not a gay bar, but who the hell knows anymore. Should be fun times.

5 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sons of sound are too over the top in a very lame sort of way. That front guy is just trying way too hard.

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Jeff Baum said...

I disagree. They are emotional, yes, but I didn't find it over the top or lame at all.

 
At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe... they actually are pretty cheesy.

 
At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Asobi Seksu seemed ok for a blogger band. The Sons of Sound weren't so great. The house sound was good (as always at the Knit) and they've definitely spent time looking in the mirror but they're sort of ridiculous. Could swear one of those songs was "I Will Follow." Other than that it was a "guess which band we're trying to sound like now" kind of show. Uninspiring and dry. The OC reference is fitting. Unfortunately missed Snowden this time around.

 
At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Asobi Seksu seemed ok for a blogger band. The Sons of Sound weren't so great. The house sound was good (as always at the Knit) and they've definitely spent time looking in the mirror but they're sort of ridiculous. Could swear one of those songs was "I Will Follow." Other than that it was a "guess which band we're trying to sound like now" kind of show. Uninspiring and dry. The OC reference is fitting. Unfortunately missed Snowden.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home