Monday, February 14, 2005

Best show of the year?

Perhaps. I can't remember enjoying a band for the first time as much as I did the Kaiser Chiefs on Saturday Night at Northsix. Just the most fun show I've seen in a very long time. So fucking British. I really didn't expect them to be this good, but I was completely floored. Great songs, untopped energy. Do your best to go see them tonight at Mercury Lounge (It's sold out), but if you're out of luck, they'll be back in March at Bowery. I urge you to go then.
(Pic via gigwise.com. Not taken from Saturday's show.)

Grammys...blah blah blah. I watched, was generally bored and occasionally embarrassed. What was that Telemundo interlude with Jenny Lopez all about? Coolfer blogged it live, which is certainly worth a read if you missed it/care.

I like The Bravery. There, I said it. They're not gonna be the greatest band in the world, but they have written some ridiculously catchy songs, and I've been following them for a while, so it'd be cheap to bail on them now that they're on the brink of stardom. I have some issues with the on stage personality of some members of the band, but, for better or worse...isn't supposed to be about the music anyway? (Even when the band tries and fails to make it more about image?) So there.

Anyway, Honest Mistake has always been my favorite song of theirs, and this video shows very little of Sam Endicott mugging for the crowd, so I like it. Check it out... (via Good Times Roll)

The Bravery - Honest Mistake

This Tuesday, I'm gonna go out to Warsaw for Mike Doughty and The Polyphonic Spree. Also, Wednesday is Movable Hype, with Elkland, plus a slathering of bands I've been itching to go check out.

3 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, Blogger Christopher said...

Kaiser Chiefs put on the most high energy show I've seen in years. Just an incredible live show. And both Madison Strays and Prosaics were great too.

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Jeff Baum said...

I did catch the Prosaics, who were perfectly good, but I thought they sound better on their EP than they did live that night. They've got some great songs, and sure make a lot of sound out of only three instruments. Will surely see them again.

Cloud Room's going on first Wednesday night, so hopefully I’ll get there in time to catch them. I'll be sure to let you know how they are.

 
At 2:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're my favorite band....and I was at the Philly show the night before and the Mercury Lounge the following Monday. The sound at the Brooklyn show wasn't nearly as good as the other two shows, and still they were amazing...that says something about them!!

They're back at the Bowery Ballroom on March 25!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home