Monday, January 10, 2005

What I learned this weekend...

-Ambulance Ltd. is working on new material, and from what they played Friday night, it is really good. A diversion from their current stuff, the new songs sounded very alt-country-ish. I liked it.

-From up close, they look like the starting 5 of a New York City private high school’s basketball team, circa 1995.

-They have an interesting fan base...decidedly non-LES looking...very Brooklyn, with a strong Uptown/Jersey contingent.

-Yes, I can differentiate between the Williamsburg and the Lower East Side hipster.

-The $4 glass of wine at Mercury Lounge is the best bargain in downtown drinking since the $3 Sparks at Rothko over the summer.

-And staying on the subject of energy drinks...Crunk, while tasting like a delicious mix between a red Jolly Rancher and a red Starburst, puts me to sleep more than it wakes me up.

Moving on to Saturday...

-Voxtrot is the real deal. Brooklyn Vegan found a diamond in the rough with these kids. Think Cure, Elkland, Smiths, Bloc Party, Killers, Bravery, Roy Orbison(?!)...just about everything good all tied up into one little package. They were superb live, and were able to fill Rothko up to capacity, a task I've only seen done before by The Secret Machines and The Futureheads. Bravo. Right-click/Save some excellent MP3's of them below. I've been listening to their EP non stop. (note: BV hid his lukewarm review of their set in his comments. He's into ingenuity, while I value catchiness...I like The Killers, and he digs Devendra...go figure. I will say that I hear much more than just The Cure in these guys)

Voxtrot – Missing Pieces
Voxtrot – Raised by Wolves
Voxtrot – Start of Something

-Sometimes the secret surprise musical guest at a bar in the Lower East Side means Wilco, and sometimes it means a local Texas band with no album out that sounds like The Music with downs syndrome. Your name says it all, Soft. Sorry guys, you may have been alright, but I was promised something special, and you would have been a letdown, good or not.

-Also, Pete Yorn and Jesse Malin aparently hang out with bloggers at Niagara...

And then Sunday…

-When Architecture in Helsinki sends out a mailing list note saying they'll be playing up and down the east coast, it unfortunately is referring to a coast on the other side of the earth. I was excited that I'd get to see them for exactly 4 seconds…

-The Colts will win the Superbowl. I said it last week, and there was nothing to convince me otherwise after Sundays game. No team can stop that offense. I thought they’d be playing the Packers, but now I think it’ll have to be the Falcons.

-24 is gonna be exhausting this year…The acting so far has been awful, but the story will be good.

-Carnivale is the most beautiful television show ever. I think I’m more excited for it this year than I am 24, believe it or not.

-Finally, I learned that I’m now likely gonna go to SXSW after all. Gotta iron out the details, but I'll make it.

This week is gonna be packed…Def Jux showcase Tuesday, Tegan and Sara Wednesday, Razorlight Thursday, and The Dears Saturday. Hopefully work won’t be too bad.

4 Comments:

At 12:20 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

It's going to be one awesome week for shows!

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Jeff Baum said...

Yes, Jenny, it absolutely is!
Yes, Tom, I will be in touch.
and
Yes, Alexis...I suppose. Anyone talk to him? Ask what he’s been doing for the last 4 years? MFTMA was my favorite album for about a month during the summer of 2001.

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger YUMMICOCO said...

I think that pete is chilling, spending his one-hit wonder money while wishing that more and more bloggers will continue to recognize him at parties.

nice meeting you.

Colette

 
At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. Laptops kansas city vaughn Mesothelioma law asbestos lawsuit cancer lawyer11

 

Post a Comment

<< Home