Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Tuesday Notes


What's the deal with The Prosaics? I see them milling around the LES bars all the time, they're signed to Matador, have a fantastic EP out that I downloaded off iTunes last night, yet I never hear much about them or see them playing any shows. They're opening for Elefant later this month at Bowery, and tho I'm very curious to go check them out, I don't think I can justify seeing Elefant 3 times in something like 4 months. We'll see tho. Let me just quickly comment on how great the NY openers have been for Elefant this year...VHS or BETA, Elkland, Tarantula, Prosaics and The Bravery are all very promising bands. Well done on their part for getting these guys up on a big stage. Anyway, here's a Prosaics song available off their website. I like it a lot.

The Prosaics - Teeth

Dear Leader last night played a very strong set at Mercury Lounge. I would imagine they impressed anybody who came out to see them for the first time. This is one of those bands where you can just tell belongs on radio. I don't know if it comes with practice, or if some bands just have it, but it's the same way I felt after seeing Elkland for the first time. Sometimes you can just tell that they will appeal to a mainstream crowd, even (or especially) if they don't exactly fit into the predetermined mold of a popular genre. These guys are not like any specific band to the point of blatant ripoffness, yet they have a comfortable familiar sound that shouldn't overwhelm or annoy the casual listener. They will be accessible to the mainstream, and still maintain a cred since they're just so talented. Rob's right...The lead singer has a perfect voice, and the band overall just sounded TIGHT. I don't know how else to put it. Keep an eye out for these guys. Here's their single.

Dear Leader - Raging Red

Movable Hype 1.5? OK! The date'll be January 17th @ Pianos. Last night I heard some rumors of which bands might be playing these shows, but since this stuff is all put on by bloggers anyway, there's no point jumping the gun. It'll all be out there as soon as it's confirmed. I've always had a dream of putting together a summer music festival at UTB. (the cobblestone space directly under the Brooklyn Bridge) It would be a perfect summer location for Movable Hype 4.0 or whatever they're up to by then...assuming the city allows it. But isn't that what charity is for? An excuse to do cool stuff that more powerful people have a hard time saying no to?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home