Monday, October 11, 2004

Well Well Well...

Just when life was beginning to look stale and old...

Friday I met up with some friends, and some friends of friends...a few of which it turned out I had gone to middle school with and hadn't seen since. So that was weird...We went to a Karaoke bar in Chinatown (coincidentally, the same one where William Hung got his start!) and after realizing I couldn't hold my head up straight and was belting out the lyrics to "A Whole New World" I decided I was not going to spend another minute ruining a second chance to make a first impression with these kids...so I grabbed a cab home and watched the replay of the debate while fading in and out of consciousness...

The next night were the Beasties at the Garden, who were great. We had good seats and it was gearing up to be an excellent night...But all of a sudden, two of my friends actually got KICKED OUT of MSG for being too rowdy?!? They were dancing around and bumping into people, but I've NEVER seen that before...
Some of the blame is laid on the fact that on top of a ludicrous day of drinking on their part, they each made for themselves a Red Bull & Zygo right before we left, which is the oral equivalent of injecting methamphetamine into the base of your spine. Fortunately they did not cause a big fuss leaving the arena...despite the 10 security guards called over who looked like they were prepared for a good old fashioned freak-out.

After the show I go home, get a call from another friend around 1:30 who is begging me to come with her to Misshapes. I'm not the biggest fan of the party, but she was threatening to head over by herself, and that was an awful idea. So I hop in a cab and shoot over to Luke and Leroys and wait for her. She shows up about 20 minutes later, completely shithoused...and not in a fun way, but in an eyes-rolling, staggering, cheeks-filling-up-with-vomit way. Lovely.

She lives all the way out in Park Slope, so I made her crash at my place...And while I was happy to offer up my bed while I slept on my couch, she insisted on the bathroom floor.

In a stunning karmic reversal, the next day she went out to Bowery Ballroom, hung-over as a bat, and waited around outside long enough till all the other empty-handed fans turned back, and the bouncers let her into the Interpol show for free. I'd say that's a pretty sweet deal.

I, on the other hand, faced with 4x$70 Morrissey tickets and nobody foolish enough to want to spend that much to go with me, was ready to have a pretty rough night...However, somebody finally responded to my craigslist ad, and I sold him two, then I convinced a friend to come with me at the very last minute. Great show, played some old favorites mixed in with the new ones. There was an incident during the encore which cut short "There is a Light...", but whatever, that's the risk involved I guess with seeing Morrissey.

Tonight I've got nothing going on, but tomorrow are The Libertines and Radio 4 and Thursday is Hope of the States with The Music. Wednesday is my birthday, beginning with Dinner at WD-50, followed by either an evening at Plaid or an evening at Snitch...That debate deserves its own post...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home