Sunday, May 30, 2004

Dennis Quaid will get some serious Oscar buzz out of this one...

Well, I have many issues with this movie...And many people will state the obvious about the poor script and the dumb plot holes...But my biggest gripe is...

That was not Manhattan getting destroyed!!!!!

Any New Yorker worth his weight in spit is aware that Manhattan is more than a library, a Statue of Liberty, and an Empire State Building. They spent upwards of 200 million dollars on this shite and they couldn't even make an convincing model of NYC??? Now, I wasn't expecting the tidal wave to roar down University Place or anything, but there are a few more noticeable landmarks in New York besides the Empire State Building. Taking a generic cityscape, molding it into the shape of Manhattan, and plopping the ESB in the middle is not acceptable. I work in One Penn Plaza...One of the tallest buildings in New York, and literally blocks away from the ESB...No sign...No Conde Nast building a few blocks north, no buildings in Lower Manhattan that looked recognizable...Nothing...Now, the only reason I went to see this is to watch my hometown get destroyed...And I cant even get satisfaction out of that...wack.

The highlight was the speech by Dick Cheney...er the fictional VP, at the end of the movie. I wish I had it word for word, but it was about third world countries, and how we are grateful to them or something...I cant describe it any better, because it made NO SENSE WHATSOEVER...And for a scene in a movie like this to stand out as being the worst, this is saying something. If I can find the script online, I'll post the speech word for word...It's a classic.

The real best part of the movie was near the beginning, where the president is getting briefed about the impending doom, and as the final word is being spoken to him, he says to the VP, without hesitation..."I dunno, what do you think?" Hands down the most realistic scene in the movie...and got a chuckle out of the fellow central villagers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home